HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Welcome 2018! JPF kicks off the New Year with a whole slate of activities and fun. Here’s what you need to know as we move into 2018.
2018 MEETING SCHEDULE
First, our general meeting schedule for the year has been set. We meet on the third Thursday of the month at 7:00 PM. Locations vary. Note that we will not have general meetings in February and December this year. If you can only attend one meeting, please attend the September “annual meeting”. This is the meeting where JPF members elect candidates to the JPF Board of Directors.
- January 12: JPF Holiday Party (members only; subscribe today!)
- January 18: JPF General Meeting
- January 29: JPF Italian Wine Dinner
- February 2: First Friday Happy Hour – Tipsy Cow Cantina
- March 2: First Friday Happy Hour – Windsor Tavern
- March 15: JPF General Meeting
Programming for the year is planned by the Board of Directors and working committees. Given the early stages of the year, things are very much in flux at this time and there’s plenty of opportunity to get involved. Here is a sample of things that each committee does throughout the year:
- Tackles architecture, urban planning and development issues via developer meetings, salons and the Parking Day event.
- Plants and maintains garden beds at the Jefferson Park Post Office and CVS triangle at Lawrence and Milwaukee
- Runs the JPF Lending Library program
- Participates in ward and city-wide cleanup efforts
- Manages public relations, advertising and social media efforts
- Manages the business membership benefit program
- Seeks ways to broaden the reach of JPF within and outside the community
- Plans all social events including social gatherings following the general meetings, the annual Pub Crawl, JPF Picnic, holiday party, Jeff Fest and other events
If you are interested in volunteering for one or more of these committees, please fill out the form below.
2017 was a busy year. Here is a snapshot of what we’ve been up to.
- JPF turned 1 year old as an incorporated 501(c)(3) public charity organization. We held our first elections and have brought on two new board members in 2017
- Increased our membership 119% to 184 members at the end of 2017 (we’re now over 200!)
- Doubled our budget and cash reserves
- Increased the number of Facebook group members over 20% to 1,050 from mid-year to end of 2017
- Increased the number of Facebook page followers 325% in 2017
- Increased average website hits per day 58% in 2017.
- Raised over $500 for the Chicago Canine Rescue as part of our 2017 Pub Crawl. That crawl had 80 participants, up 100% from 2016.
- Hosted 11 general meetings in 2017. Guest speakers and/or guests include Alderman John Arena, Senator John Mulroe, Representative Rob Martwick and Congressman Mike Quigley
- Created the monthly First Friday Happy Hour series
- Hosted the City of Chicago’s one and only Parking Day event
Initiatives and Activities
- Deployed Jefferson Park’s first Lending Library in Roberts Square Park. Acquired 7 more newspaper boxes to be used in the community, with priority going to local schools.
- Cleaned up downtown Jefferson Park (twice)
- Maintained our two garden beds
- Sponsored and/or volunteered at Jeff Fest and Chicago Fringe Festival
- Rolled out a business benefit plan to support local business in Jefferson Park
- Worked with Alderman John Arena’s office to develop a plan to close the alley between Higgins and Milwaukee (adjacent to Weston’s Coffee)
- Participated as a stakeholder in the development of the Jefferson Park Station Area Master Plan